Thursday, July 16, 2015

Another Horrible Night

The wind struck again Tuesday night. Hailey was a mess. Nothing we could do seemed to help comfort her. We tried her in the room, in the bed, in the closet, doors opened, windows closed, doors closed, thunder shirt on etc. etc. I even took her outside (she did have to poop around 2 am because she had been so scared earlier she wouldn't go).

I did finally find a solution. After our trip out, I went to the games room. This is the room near her basement cave (aka the bathroom and laundry room). I "slept" in the recliner for about 3 hours. She didn't bark or pace during that time.

At about 5:30, I really needed to go back to our bed as my back was sore. She started the barking and pacing until the Man got up around 6:30. Then she was better.

I have Wednesdays off (I am working compressed hours which means it is harder to visit you all on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, but I get 3 days off a week), so I was trying to get some of the sleep I lost. As soon as the Man left, the panic started again.

It seemed that today, she could only be calmer if one of us was up with her. As I write this Wednesday morning to prepare for tomorrow, she is asleep in the chair beside me. Phod is off sleeping too because she kept him up.

I don't know what we are going to do with her. We need to be able to have the windows open in the summer. Phod goes to the vet in a  few weeks for his check up. I will speak to our vet about it then.

This video was taken Wednesday morning. She is fairly calm in it, but you can see she is demanding comfort, that clearly doesn't help.

I can't wish the wind to stop because if it does  we will boil in our a/c free place.


15 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Oh Poor Hailey... poor you! The level of anxiety may require a prescription of something light to calm her at such times - thus calming all concerned. It is not nice to think of pills and potions, but they have their place; the vet will certainly be the one to know. Hope you have minimum wind till then ...(that didn't look quite right, but you know what I mean!) Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe ask your vet about Clomocalm - it is what we use with Denny when he is stressing - it helps without making them all dopey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that you had such a bad night and I'm so sorry that you couldn't catch some sleep later. It's a challenge to sleep with closed windows in summer... I know... barkfeast or headaches from the sticky air... :o( maybe your vet has an idea what could work for Lee... it's so sad to see our furfriends with fears and restless while we can't help. Paws crossed for something what will do the trick for you and Lee.
    easy rider

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor baby. We understand how stressful that could be
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, that's such a difficult thing. Sampson has taken to being freaked out by the wind too. Poor guy, thankfully if we put him in the basement he calms down. I hope you find a solution for Hailey, not getting sleep really stinks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, I feel so bad for her being stressed out by the wind. I sure hope the vet can give you some sage advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure hope the vet can help. It is so hard to figure out what to do, but everyone needs their rest.
    Before we got central A/C a few years ago we had a portable unit in the living room to help with the heat. We still open the windows at night if there are not fireworks or rain and wind
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww poor sweet pup!!! Must be so hard!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Hailey. She might need some anxiety medication. I would not get xanax as that can make some phobias worse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor girl.....well...poor all of you. Hope you can get it sorted very soon. The wind isn't going to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor girl. Definitely ask your vet about it. Have you tried a Thunder shirt? Others have used them with their dogs with good success.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMD ..... poor Hailey. She looks so miserable. I hope the Vet can help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We got Cinnamon a calming jacket (Thunder Shirt is one brand http://www.thundershirt.com/) Boy does it help. It's a little hot in the Hot Weather though... but will help Her.
    Nellie's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh you poor gurl! Ma just wants to hugs you!! Ma also knows how physically and mentally draining this can be! Ma had an Irish Terrier that hated Halloween so much (strangers coming to the door) that she would hide in the den and not come out the entire night! Luckily, it was just one night, not weeks like you guys are goin' through. I think it's a good idea to talk to the vettie. Maybe you could give the vet tech a call and ask if you can try some Benadryl til then. It doesn't make ME sleepy AT ALL, butts it does in a lot of doggies. Maybe it will for you. I take 50mg twice a day for my allergies...yes, that would put most peeps in a dead sleep! Butts, me..nothin'! BOL
    Anyhu, I wish I had a better suggestion. Butts, give your vettie office a call and check with them, and if it's okay, it's worth a shot!
    Paws crossed for you Hailey! And for your peeps!! {{{{hugs}}}}
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor Hailey, we really feel for both of you. Hopefully your vet will have some suggestions that may help.
    Wally & Sammy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!