Saturday, June 6, 2015

Confessions of a Dog Lady - My Old Cat is Eating Junkfood

I guess today is really confessions of a cat lady, keeping with 3 days in a row about our Nin!

I have had a cat for 20 years in 2 weeks and dogs for 15 years or so. I have always prided myself on feeding them well to help keep them healthy. Heck, they probably eat better than I do most of the time!

There have been two exceptions to this:

1) When angel Loki our first dog was dying and not eating, we gave him whatever he wanted. The vet actually said to do this.


2) The last few months I have moved Nin, who will be 20 in less than a month, from a premium food to cheaper food. We moved him from the creme de la creme hard food (at like $60 a bag) to a moderate hard food with low protein as suggested by the vet (which is about $25 a bag). We can't tell how much he is eating because we think he is sharing with the mouse.

We finally used up all the canned food from the vet, that was also premium and like $4 a can (and that is just tiny cans). It took forever to use it up as Nin ate very little. The Man and I had a discussion and decided that we would try canned food from the grocery store.  No surprise, Nin LOVES it. He is probably eating more than he was of the expensive stuff. I realize that this isn't as good for him, but at this point he is happy and eating, so I am happy. Although I do feel a little bad about it. However, I remind myself that  at this point probably doesn't really make a difference.   I hope when I am a hundred I can eat cake at every meal if I want!


16 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    It is absolutely fine! Sweetening the closing days works for efurrybuddy.... Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know there is so much hype about cheaper foods compared to expensive foods and yes some cheaper foods are terrible but some actually compare equally or better than expensive ones. That is why it always pay to check the breakdown figures on the can. And really - at Nin's age.....weather he wants to eat fish sticks or fresh caught Atlantic salmon doesn't matter - so long as he happy and is eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you think and I hope Nin enjoys his food and every day you are together.... and I cross my fingers, that you can eat a giant cake when your are 100 years old... and I also hope that I can't comment the photo you will take :o)
    easy rider

    ReplyDelete
  4. We come to a point in life were.... Whatever makes us Happy is what we SHOULD do and have... And if Nin likes it and eats it.... Who Cares... it is what brings him Joy...
    The HIGH QUALITY food and Good Care.... is what got him to this age... and STAGE in life...
    Enjoy every bite, Nin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with what you are doing. We are doing the same with Samantha since she's been so picky about eating. Whatever we can get into her is good enough (and she is only 13 but has health issues). We still feed a higher quality dry food, since thank goodness she still likes that. But for canned food anything goes. It's my theory that when they get to be older (and wow for Nin! almost 20!), keeping them happy and enjoying their remaining time is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing wonderfully with him. He has a wonderful mama
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We agree with Lily and Edward....It's all good!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo for you!!! Nin surely deserves to eat whatever strikes his fancy.
    Lots of Nin hugs from madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom says when she is 100, or if she ends up getting a disease that for sure will kill her, she will love on ice cream, potato chips, nuts, every kind of bread in the universe, cheese on EVERYTHING . . . oh, better not get her going . . .

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't feel bad! Sometimes with kitties you have to feed what they will eat. Our cats don't like premium food, either. They are insanely picky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go for it! We think older animals can eat and DO whatever they want. At least he's eating and feeling okay.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crikey ....... this is brilliant!! When I'm twenty I'm going to have ICECREAM for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although our Mommy and Daddy make Cinnamon's food, us cats eats Friskies and people tuna and Fancy Feast. Mommy did try the speacil food from the vet, and wes would nots eats it!
    Our Ver thinks wes really healthy so I guess wes will still keep getting what we like!
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Nin, you have such FABulous peeps!!! I say, eat and do what you wants!!! these are the advantages of livin' all these years! Hey, you wants a margarita???? ☺
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!