Thursday, October 18, 2012

A letter to my dogs

Chelsea  at http://raszobai.weebly.com/1/post/2012/10/a-letter-to-your-dog.html? has challenged all dog owners to write a letter to their dog(s). Here is my attempt.

My dearest Hailey and Zaphod,

There are some things you should know. In my house, you are the sun and the moon. And while you may feel I neglect you etc, every decision I make in my life takes you into account. This includes the big decisions (such as finding our new house) to  little decisions (can we go out for dinner tonight and leave the dogs, can we settle into a movie or should we take the dogs out). You are the centre of my universe.

Much of my spare time is spent thinking about you and what I can do to make your life better.   I read things and researches them and try my best to give you a great life.  Sometimes I will not be as patient with you as I should. Some days you will fray my nerves. You must remember I am a person, and unlike dogs am not perfect. I will make mistakes, but I am trying my best to be the best Lady possible.

I know sometimes you think I worry too much about you and that I have rules you don't like. Before I had you both I had two other dogs. Two other dogs who were also the centre of the universe. They both died in spite of my best attempts to prolong their lives.  I will always have the time I spent with them (8 and 6 years respectively), but I don't have their future and that is hard. It is my goal in life to give you a future. I want you to see the double digits in age. I want you to see them in good health. It is part of my job to keep you healthy and safe. This is why I scold when you run away or get angry when you eat something you shouldn't. First I want you to be healthy and safe, and then I want you to be happy.

In the event you do become sick or hurt, know I will do everything reasonable to make you better. Know that a decision to say goodbye to you will only be done if deemed the best thing to do for you  - if there is no other treatment and/or allowing you to live will mean allowing you to suffer unnecessarily. I will never let you suffer unnecessarily. I promise to put my feelings aside and do the best for you. Know money will never be a factor in my choice. Know my heart will break a little that day and the scar will never fully heal.

While I want you to be safe and healthy, I do want you to be happy. I hope you feel half the joy and happiness I do when I am with you. I love seeing you waiting by the front door when I pull into the driveway. I love the enthusiasm with which you greet me. I love watching you run free and play. I love when you learn a new trick. I love watching Phod swim and Lee eat the waves.  I love our morning walks together. I love when you curl up on my lap or beside me and sleep.

I want you to know that my love for you is truly unconditional.  History has shown that there is nothing you can do to make me stop loving you and caring for you. I hope you do not take advantage of this and intentionally do bad things. This unconditional love will come with a bit of a price for you. I will do things like dress you up and embarrass you to get even for the holes in the wall, poop on the floor and other mischief.

I think I am a very lucky Lady to have you in my life. My life would be dull and boring without you.  If you weren't here, something would be missing. You make me happier and healthier than I would be without you. For that I thank you.

I wish us a long future together.


Your loving Lady




10 comments:

  1. That's the winner :) Made my eye's water..How lovely and I'm sure your dogs love you, just as much as you love them :) xx000xx
    Happy Thursday.
    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully sweet sentiments. Your dogs are very lucky pups. Have a terrific Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely letter! I love reading about other dog owners who really and truly love their dogs :) Thanks for participating in the challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea. I am going to go read a letter to my dog this weekend. I haven't been "ready" for a good cry this week.

      Delete
  4. Can we post on ALetterToMyDog.com? Loving the letter!

    ALTMD

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment. We love your comments!